Sunday, February 04, 2007

As time passes away...





-

-
-

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day

You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way. ...
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you. ...
Every year is getting shorter; never seem to find the time...
-- "Time" from The Dark Side of the Moon: Pink Floyd
Remember the days when we were kids my mom asked us whether we wanted to learn music. Her friend was a music teacher and asked us to learn some musical instrument from her. We had all the time in the world to fly kites, play cricket, theeefan polis, ice boy (find out these games) and even play thayam, chozhi... with the akka's above our house... but music ! no time for that nonsense.
Years have rolled.... my wife made sure that all my kids learn music. they are learning piano and doing their grades. They had a bit of starting trouble but my wife's insistence paid off.
my mom said atleast start learning with them.... mara mandayil engay eruthu... too old for that i told her. she told me that mebbe she should have been a bit more strict with us like how my wife was... when i told her how i felt bad that i did not have any special talent. thought i saw a drop of tear in her eye.
I told her don't worry and enjoy ur grandkids music... and one day when these kids do a recital i said i would be on the stage too turning the page on the music sheet.
Anyway my neighbours know the value of my music... cause when i sing all his donkeys return to his house, scared stiff.
It's never too late. thats what i tell myself, being telling all along.....

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Age doesn't matter and you can always learn what you can.

16:20  
Blogger Jeevan said...

Your wife has taken a good decision on kids; learning music is the best. One of our well known ask me to visit his house to learn to play keyboard properly, but my situation dint give way, so I am playing on my own through music notes.

01:14  
Blogger Syam said...

I too missed it in my early stages...then during college days I got the money from my dad for learning music and spent it with my friends (sarakku adikka oor sutha) :-)

//It's never too late//

I too agree...

09:20  
Blogger SKM said...

Your wife is right.At young age it is easy to grasp.But you can learn anything you feel like doing.My husband started learning sanskrit and keyboard now.Better late than never.Don't ask what am i doing?hehehe.just reading all the blogs...;)

09:26  
Blogger smiley said...

pria, u think so.... :)

jeevan, that's great learning on ur own :)

01:59  
Blogger smiley said...

syam, sarakku adikka oor sutha, lol. sometimes we don't realise what we r missing in life till it's too late :)

skm, ur husband's story is really inspiring :)

02:01  

Post a Comment

<< Home