Sunday, January 08, 2006

I have cancer , it doesn't have me - Anika

CAN Conquer CANcer initiative


I parked the car on the side of the road, and my wife and daughter
were getting ready for their usual prayers in the chapel attached to the school, then we were to drop our daughter off at her class.
"Can you park the car on the other side of the road please?", my wife requested.
With a frown on her face she said, "The building by the side with closed windows is a cancer hospital…dirty, germs, radiations...."
I agreed and parked on the opposite side. We usually wait to pick up our daughter at the same place. One day, a window opened up and we saw a cute looking girl about 6 or 7 years old with a tired face.
When she saw us she gave us a shy smile. My wife returned the smile. My daughter arrived and waved at her and the girl waved back happily.
We could see the girl and my daughter were getting friendlier.
This became a regular affair at the same time each day.
My daughter named her Anika, meaning beautiful child of God.
As days passed, Anika started looking weaker and more fragile.
Her hair seemed to thin off and we could see the pain behind the smile.
One day, as usual, we waited but the window never opened up.
We turned back home after our daughter arrived.
Same story next day...
There were tears in my daughter's and wife's eyes. My heart was heavy.
We did not want to think negatively... The next day, as usual, both of them went to the chapel and when my wife returned , she was in tears.
She told me she prayed and her heart cried out for the girl. We wanted to see that smiling cheerful face again. She asked me to stop the car by the hospital side of the road. I was surprised. She sat there with her eyes closed.
I had lost hope but did not have the heart to check on the girl's condition as I knew both my daughter and wife could not bear any sort of bad news.
My wife insisted that we park under the same window everyday and both the girls spent more time every passing day in the chapel .
They were confident that they would see Anika again.
In my mind, I knew that they were going to be disappointed.
It had been 10 days and on that day, as I stopped the car near the hospital, both my wife and daughter were excited. The window was open and sweet, bald, Anika was there with a wide radiant smile waiting for us.
My wife and daughter were crying with joy and there were tears in my eyes too!!!
My brain said it would not last long and there could be a relapse.
For once I listened to my heart and knew Anika had fought through the cancer because of her fighting spirit, her friends who would not give her up and prayers with faith.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks a Mil, Smiley for supporting the CCC initiative.

We heartily appreciate your contribution to the cause

21:44  
Blogger monu said...

hey smiley
nice story!

03:25  
Blogger smiley said...

Don, thanks to you for starting an awareness about cancer

Monu, thanks for dropping and I'm sure u will win the contest.

04:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it was very inspiring

05:08  
Blogger smiley said...

Anonymous, Thanks for your visit and comment.

14:16  
Blogger Sudhamshu said...

Wow! That was a very touching story. BEAUTIFUL!

05:09  
Blogger smiley said...

Sudhu, Thanks.

14:32  
Blogger Aswin Anand T.H. said...

superb post.. :-)

09:59  
Blogger smiley said...

Aswin, thanks and hopefully it inspires someone to fight cancer.

04:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home